100% NATURAL WOOL
WAK wool is 100% sheep wool, without an ounce of acrylic fiber. We choose all natural and are committed to making the world a greener place.
100% PERUVIAN WOOL
Our wool comes from the high Andes in South America. It is obtained from crossbred sheep (Corriedale and Merino) that are raised at an altitude of 6500 feet above sea level.
In the Peruvian Andes, our sheep live in optimal conditions, in a natural environment, which directly impacts the quality of the wool.
ON TREND COLORS
We use fashionable colors by season for our wool, without ever forgetting the elegant basics like black, gray, or beige.
ITS TOUCH, COLOR AND THICKNESS MAKE IT AN EXCLUSIVE, HIGH QUALITY YARN. KNITTING WITH OUR YARN MAKES FOR AN EXCLUSIVE GARMENT FULL OF PERSONALITY. YOU WILL SET TRENDS WHEREVER YOU GO.
1.- SHEARING THE SHEEP
At the end of winter the sheep no longer need their natural protection. In the spring the shearers shave the wool. The sheep are left cooler for the heat of the summer.
2.- WASHING THE WOOL
The wool can now be washed, in hot water and sanitizing solution, to remove dirt and impurities.
This consists of gently picking and carefully pulling the pieces of yarn into fibers. The wool is carded and then combed. Then it is ready for the next step.
The wool fibers are mixed and twisted to the desired thickness. Usually a spindle or spinning wheel is used.
The dye is poured into a pot with boiling water. The wool is placed in the pot and left to absorb the color. Our wools tend to be purer shade of white than others, so it can be dyed a wide range of colors.
6.- TWISTED STRANDS
The wool is twisted once again, to give it the final touch. And that’s it! We now have a skein of wool in our chosen color. This is the process we use to obtain our 100% wool yarn at We Are Knitters.
CHARACTERISTICS OF OUR WOOLS
The perfect thickness
- Our chunky yarn is the perfect thickness for beginners.
- This yarn is a very bulky single ply yarn.
- The skeins are larger than usual, 200 gr. and 87 yards in each skein. We recommend using size 19 needles or larger for this yarn.
THE PETITE WOOL
Easy and light
- Much thinner than our signature yarn.
- It is very soft and easy to knit. This is a single ply yarn.
- Each skein weighs 100 gr. and measures153 yards. We recommend using size 11 needles or larger for this yarn.
- Merino is one of the best wools available; it is very warm and flexible. It is known for being extremely light weight and soft.
- Besides, it’s superwash. You can wash your favorite garments in the washing machine on a delicate cycle.
- Each skein weighs 100 gr. and measures 149 yards. We recommend using size 8 needles for this yarn.
- Baby Alpaca is one of the most exclusive yarns available because of its incredible quality.
- It is one of the finest and softest yarns on the market. You won’t be able to you’re your hands off of it!
- Each skein weighs 50 gr. and measures 122 yards. We recommend using size 8 needles or larger for this yarn.
- The Mericapa combines two fantastic fibers, Merino and Baby Alpaca, resulting in a fiber with optimal softness, quality and torsion.
- Its composition 80% Merino Superwash and 20% Baby Alpaca makes it possible to put in the washing machine in delicate cycle while using a neutral soap. And do not forget, dry flat and in the shade.
- We recommend to work this yarn with 5mm needles. Each yarn ball is 100 GR and 140 meters long.